Kenny Chesney - When I Close My Eyes

Jo Stafford and Gordon Macrae - Beyond the sunset



Is There Life After Death? - 2018 Tom Tom Founders Festival






#1. Bill Guthridge - University of North Carolina Basketball Coach

#2. Harold Johnson - Parsons H. S. Basketball Coach

#3. Leon Jursche - Parsons H. S. Football/Basketball/Track Coach & Principal

#4. JoAnn Jursche - Class of 1962 Cheerleader

#5. Joe Martin - PHS Football Coach & Jr. High football, basketball & track coach

#6. Dabney Lawhorn - West Jr. Hi. 8th grade Basketball Coach

#7. Dr. Sandra Willsie Parsons H. S.

#8. David Tippet - Parsons Postmaster, Parsons News Owner

#9. Joe Ryan - Joe's Club

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- #1. Former UNC BB Coach Bill Guthridge dies at 77

Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 11:35 am

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Parsons native Bill Guthridge, the longtime assistant to Dean Smith who succeeded Smith as North Carolina’s head coach, has died. He was 77.

The school announced Wednesday that Guthridge died Tuesday night. The cause of death was not immediately known.

The son of former Parsons, Ks. USD 503 School Superintendent Wallace Guthridge, Bill Guthridge attended Washington Elementary School, West Junior High School and Parsons High School, graduating in 1955. In 1956, he attended Parsons Junior College (now Labette Community College) before transferring to Kansas State University, where he received a bachelor’s degree in 1960 and a master’s degree in 1963.

Although he had moved away from Parsons, Guthridge’s ties ran deep, and he returned often to visit friends.

Wallace Guthridge was superintendent for USD 503 from 1941 until his death in 1967. Guthridge School was named in his honor.

In 2005, Guthridge received LCC’s Cardinal Citation, the college’s highest honor. He said then it was “great” to be back in Parsons.

“And I am thrilled to receive this honor. It is something very special to me, my sister Joan (Rodkey) and my family. And to be included with (former recipients) Max Schiefelbusch, Helen Jones, Pete Hughes and Slick Norris is an honor,” Guthridge said. “I am honored by this award and I am humbled to be included among those who have received this award in the past.”

Parsonians still have fond memories of Guthridge.

“Bill was always an All-American guy — always positive, good athlete and great coach. He was a neighbor of mine when growing up and often stopped by to give me a push to school when we were in West High together,” said Parsons resident Robert Brandenburg.

A story in the Sun years ago noted Guthridge’s helping his neighbor. Brandenburg was facing the prospect of returning to school after a battle with polio, which left him paralyzed and wheelchair-bound.

“When the time came to return to school last fall, Bob, now 13, faced the prospect with no enthusiasm. He would be in the eighth grade; his classmates had moved on. Worst of all he would be different from the other boys. How would he get up and down the stairs at school?

“Things must have looked brighter when his buddy, Bill Guthridge, came by to roll him to school. Bob’s home at 105 N. 27th is but a baseball throw from West High (now Parsons Middle School). But it seemed a long way to him on his first trip there in a wheelchair.

“When Bob saw how the kids pitched in to help with his chair he figured Principal E.E. Royse must have wised them up. It soon became routine for them to see that his chair got to classes, to assembly, out on the playground and even into fire drills,” the Sun story reported.

Parsons businessman Gary Wall said many people will be saying what a great human being Bill was, and he agreed as well.

“He was simply an outstanding man, as he was a young boy and man when growing up in Parsons. He came from a wonderful family and all of us in Parsons are proud to claim him as a native son,” Wall said.

A spokesperson for LCC said Guthridge was a good friend of the college.

“He donated to the LCC Foundation in many ways. For example, he donated a Tar Heels basketball featuring his autograph along with autographs from Dean Smith and Roy Williams to the LCC Foundation Auction for Scholarships. It sold for $3,000 and it still holds the record as the single highest grossing item in our auction’s history,” LCC Foundation Director Lindi Forbes said. “In 2005, the college was honored to name him as a Cardinal Citation award recipient in recognition of his successful career and outstanding support of LCC. When he came back to Parsons for the award, I had the pleasure of meeting him. To be honest, before I met him, I was very intimidated from reading his bio and resume. However, his down-to-earth friendly demeanor put me at ease immediately. I am glad I had the chance to meet him and continue communication with him since his award.”

Former players at North Carolina recalled Guthridge’s competitive nature.

“If he told me to run through that wall to make me better, I’d hit that wall,” former North Carolina player and well-traveled college coach Buzz Peterson told The Associated Press. “Because I knew coach Guthridge had the best interest for you and wanted to see you succeed.”

Guthridge spent three decades as an assistant to Smith, helping him bring national championships to Chapel Hill in 1982 and 1993.

When Smith retired as Division I’s winningest men’s coach shortly before the 1997-98 season, Guthridge was promoted to replace him, and he guided the Tar Heels to two Final Fours in three seasons.

“Bill Guthridge was a gentleman coach, but a fierce competitor, and an incredibly loyal member of Dean Smith’s staff for three decades,” athletic director Bubba Cunningham said in a statement. “I learned very quickly when I came to Chapel Hill how beloved and respected he was by people all across this community. His loss is deeply felt by our university and the basketball world.”

Guthridge went 80-28 from 1997-2000, reaching Final Fours in 1998 and 2000 before retiring that June.

Smith died in February at age 83.

“They worked so well together,” Peterson said. “So much trust between those two. Just a perfect, perfect team.”

The careers and lives of the two coaches from Kansas were solidly intertwined. Both played college ball in that state — Smith at Kansas, Guthridge at Kansas State — and coached at their alma maters before coming to North Carolina.

Guthridge joined Smith’s staff for the 1967-68 season, starting out as the freshman coach and a co-assistant varsity coach and eventually becoming the Hall of Famer’s most trusted assistant. He also was an assistant to Smith on the 1976 U.S. Olympic team that won the gold medal in Montreal.

Peterson — who roomed with Michael Jordan on those early 1980s teams — said Guthridge kept the program going off the court, with the assistant making him run the school’s golf course at 6 a.m. as punishment for once being late.

“We’d always say there were so many time zones — Eastern Standard Time, Central Standard Time — but the most important was GST: Guthridge Standard Time,” Peterson said. “I’d always set my time to GST, 10 minutes ahead.”

North Carolina made 29 NCAA Tournament appearances in Guthridge’s 33 years on the staff and finished no worse than third in the Atlantic Coast Conference regular-season standings every year — with 16 first-place finishes and 10 more in second. The Tar Heels either won the ACC Tournament or finished atop the league standings — or did both — in 23 of those seasons.

After Smith retired in October 1997, then-athletic director Dick Baddour elevated Guthridge to the top job. That season, he led the Tar Heels to a 34-4 record and the final No. 1 ranking in the AP Top 25, earned the ACC Coach of the Year award and guided North Carolina to the Final Four before losing to Utah.

The Tar Heels then went 24-10 in 1998-99 but were upset by Weber State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. In Guthridge’s final season, he went 18-13 — at the time, the program’s worst finish in decades — but bounced back in the postseason to reach North Carolina’s 15th Final Four before losing in the national semifinals to Florida. He stepped down 2 1/2 months later.

Guthridge was enshrined in the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame in 2005.

Posted: Monday, July 28, 2008 9:33 pm

#2. Harold Johnson

Harold Cecil Johnson, 89, of Topeka died Sunday, July 27, 2008, from complications resulting from a recent auto accident.

He was born Oct. 17, 1918, in Hartford to Ross and Elizabeth Johnson.

Harold loved the outdoors from a young age and was an avid fisherman throughout his life. As a teenager he earned the rank of Eagle Scout from the Boy Scouts of America.

He attended Kansas Wesleyan University, where he excelled as a basketball player and received his degree in education. Upon his graduation, he was drafted into the Navy during World War II. He was discharged in December 1945 with the rank of specialist A 2nd class.

He married Dorris E. Tebben on January 27, 1940. They met on campus at Kansas Wesleyan in Salina, Ks. and traveled much of the world throughout their life together.

In 1948, the couple and their daughter moved to Parsons, where Harold and Dorris would teach at Parsons High School for many years. In 15 years as the basketball coach at Parsons High School, his teams compiled a 190-35 record and won 10 SEK championships. For his efforts, he would later be inducted into the Kansas Basketball Coaches Association Hall of Fame and in 2001 the Kansas State High School Activities Association Hall of Fame.

After giving everything to coaching, he stepped away in 1963 to start a second career in insurance. He worked as an agent for State Farm until his retirement in 1981.

Retirement away from family and friends did not suit Harold and Dorris, so after 18 months in Bella Vista, Ark., they moved to Topeka to be closer to friends and family in 1982.

Survivors include his wife, Dorris (Tebben) Johnson; a daughter, Susan Hughes and her husband, Larry, of Topeka; a son, H. Kemper Johnson of New York, N.Y.; two grandsons, John Hughes and his wife, Stephanie, of Topeka and Jeff H. Hughes of Topeka; and three great-granddaughters, Taylor, Talisa and Tateum.

He was preceded in death by four brothers and two sisters.

The service will be at 11 a.m. Thursday at Kevin Brennan Family Funeral Home, 2801 SW Urish Road, Topeka. Memorials are suggested to Kansas State High School Activities Association Inc., P.O. Box 495, Topeka, 66601-0495.

Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:23 pm

#3. Leon H. Jursche, 90, of Frontenac, a former Parsons resident, died Tuesday, May 25, 2010, at the Via Christi Hospital in Pittsburg.

He was born June 29, 1919, at Ringo to Pongrac and Mary Jursche. He graduated from the Frontenac High School in 1937 and earned his bachelor of science, master of science and education specialist degrees from Pittsburg State University. He spent 37 years in the field of education as a business teacher, coach and administrator. He taught in Arcadia, McCune, Parsons and Frontenac schools. He served as head football coach, jr. varsity basketball coach, and later principal at Parsons High School.

From 1942 to 1945 he served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He was a member of the Frontenac United Methodist Church, American Legion, P.S.U. Alumni Association, Pittsburg Masonic Lodge, Mirza Shrine and Order of Eastern Star. He was a former Rotarian and served as president of the Parsons Rotary Club in 1965-66.

Survivors include his wife of nearly 68 years, Marie (Rudolph) Jursche of Frontenac, a niece and a nephew.

He was preceded in death by his daughter, JoAnne Jursche; and three sisters.

A graveside service was May 28 at the Garden of Memories Cemetery at Pittsburg.

Memorials are suggested to the Frontenac Educational Foundation or the Frontenac United Methodist Church. They can be sent to the Friskel Funeral Home, P.O. Box 907, Frontenac, 66763.

Online condolences may be left at www.friskelfuneralhome.com.

----------------------------------------------- #4. JoAnn Jursche

Obituary for beautiful JoAnn Jursche See JoAnn on Page 3, Pic #37, and Page 4, Pic #35

Jo Ann Jursche Miranda
Birth 30 Aug 1944
Kansas, USA
Death 2 Jan 1997 (aged 52)
Pittsburg, Crawford County, Kansas, USA
Garden of Memories Cemetery
Pittsburg, Crawford County, Kansas, USA
Memorial ID 134785263 · View Source
Jo Ann attended in schools in Parsons, KS and graduated from the Senior High School in 1962 where she was queen candidate and varsity cheerleader. Her dad Leon Jursche, was Head Football Coach, Head Track Coach, and Jr. Varsity Basketball Coach and later PHS Principal. She then continued her studies at Kansas State College of Pittsburg, KS. She married Michael E. Meyer in Nov. 1977 in Los Angeles, California. In June of 1983, following a divorce from Mr. Meyer, she married Alfred J. Miranda.

#5 Joseph D. ‘Joe’ Martin

Posted: Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:29 pm

Joseph D. “Joe” Martin, 82, a longtime resident of Parsons, died at 10:15 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 2, 2013, at Freeman Hospital in Joplin after entering the hospital on Oct. 4.

Joe was born on Jan. 30, 1931, outside of Scammon to Joseph W. and Helen C. (O’Malley) Martin.

Joe married Mary Jean Saporito on Aug. 27, 1955, at St. Bridget’s Catholic Church in Scammon.

He attended Weir schools and was a 1948 graduate of Weir High School. He graduated from Labette Community College and Pittsburg State University with multiple degrees in education. He also was a veteran of the Korean War.

In the fall of 1955, Joe began his educational career at Parsons East Junior High. He later taught at Parsons High School. During his time in the classroom, Joe taught physical education and social studies. During his tenure as a teacher, he coached football, basketball and track. From 1966 to 1971, he was head football coach at PHS. From 1972 to 1981, he served as assistant principal and athletic director at PHS. In the fall of 1981, he was hired as principal at Roosevelt Middle School in Coffeyville. He continued in that position until his retirement in 1993. Following his retirement, he and Mary Jean returned to Parsons, where they had lived since.

He was a member of St. Patrick’s Catholic Church in Parsons and a third-degree member of the Knights of Columbus and had volunteered at St. Vincent DePaul Society. He was also a volunteer for Meals on Wheels and a member of Brown-Bishop Post No. 704, Veterans of Foreign Wars. In earlier years, he stayed busy officiating basketball and football games. He enjoyed hunting, fishing and spending time with his family. Joe will always be remembered for taking time to make the difference in the lives of innumerable individuals.

Survivors include his loving wife of 58 years, Mary Jean of the home; four sons, Joe L. Martin and his wife, Kathy, of Frontenac, David Martin and his wife, Robie, Mark Martin and his wife, Sherri, all of Parsons, and Mike Martin and his wife, Donna, of Girard; 11 grandchildren, Elizabeth, Emily, Kyle, John David, Seth, Maegen, Mikinzi, Kelsey, Drew, Luke and Anne Marie; four great-grandchildren, Abby, Rylie, Jackson and Taryn; a brother, Carl E. Martin and his wife, Mary Ann, of West Mineral; and a sister, Helen Marie Wallace and her husband, Larry, of Clay Center.

The funeral Mass will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church in Parsons. Burial will be in St. Bridget’s Cemetery in Scammon. The parish rosary will be prayed at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at Forbes-Hoffman Funeral Home in Parsons, where the family will receive friends immediately following the rosary.

Memorials are suggested to the Parsons Educational Foundation for the Joe and Mary Jean Martin Scholarship Fund or St. Patrick’s Catholic Church and may be left at or mailed to the funeral home, P.O. Box 374, Parsons, 67357.

Online condolences may be left at www.forbeshoffman.com.

Obituary for DABNEY LAWHORN, MY 8th grade basketball coach at Parsons West Jr. High. Click here to leave condolences. You can see his picture on P3, Pic #163

#6. Charlton Dabney Lawhorn beloved husband, father, grandfather, great grandfather, educator, mentor and friend, passed away Saturday July 7, 2018. He joins his beloved wife of 71 years Wilda who preceded him in death. Dabney lived a long and wonderful life. He is survived by his 4 children, Linda Collins of Overland Park, KS, Dr. David Lawhorn of Lawrence, KS, Col. Charles Lawhorn of Tampa , Florida, and Kathryn Lawhorn Pinto of Overland Park, KS. He is also survived by 10 grandchildren: William Collins Jr., Jessica Scaccia, Michael Collins, Sara Collins, Susan Gering, Christopher Lawhorn, Estacia Lawhorn, Embrelyn Lawhorn, Anthony Pinto, Josette Pinto, and 1great grandchild, Jackson Gering.

Charlton Dabney Lawhorn was known to all friends and family as Dabney. He was born August 1, 1924 in Parsons, Kansas to Charles and Sara Lawhorn. He had 2 sisters Martha and Charlotte and 2 brothers, George (Buck), and Rex, all who preceded him in death. His family was poor and struggled during the great depression often not having food or clothing. Dabney worked at many jobs growing up in an effort to help the family. He was an excellent athlete but especially loved playing football. He was as strong as an ox getting his muscles from delivering 100 pound blocks of ice and his arm muscles were still so strong that when he could hardly walk he used those muscles to lift him from step to step.

Dabney left high school early to enlist in the Army during WWII. He was promoted during the war and was a sergeant in charge of 3 half-tracks in the 3rd Army 6th Armored Division under General Patton. He rarely talked about his service in WWII until quite late in his life. He was proud of his service especially the breakout off of the Normandy beachhead, and his participation at the Battle of the Bulge and relief of Bastogne. He was also part of the liberation of the concentration camp at Buchenwald but did not speak of the atrocities he saw firsthand until, the last few years. He received the Bronze Star and Croix de Guerre with Palms for heroism and service during the war.

After his service in WWII he returned home to Parsons, Kansas where he completed high school and met Wilda Presley, the love of his life. Wilda and Dabney were married on July 3rd, 1946. Dabney worked for Boeing as a tool designer but after receiving a scholarship to play football, he received a Bachelor’s degree from Austin College, and went on to obtain a Master’s degree from Wichita State University and his Doctorate degree from the University of Kansas. He loved teaching and working with young students. Dabney went on from teaching to become a school administrator and superintendent of schools believing he could help to influence and improve all students’ educational progress by helping and supervising teachers. His teaching and administrative career took Dabney, Wilda, and their children from Eldorado, KS, to Parsons, KS, White City, KS, Hesston, KS, and finally to Turner Unified School District in Kansas City, KS., where he remained until retiring.

Dabney had been a member of the Lion’s Club, was a proud Master Mason, and then Scottish Rite.

Dabney and Wilda both had beautiful voices and sang in the church choirs wherever they were. He always had a song in his heart and even toward the end of his life enchanted all with his voice and songs. He was a member of the Methodist church most of his life. Dabney had a strong faith and believed that churches were mainly places to gather and all that really mattered was your faith in God and Christ.

Dabney and Wilda raised 4 wonderful children whom they were very proud of. Dabney was the patriarch of his family; wise, understanding, almost always right in his opinions and recommendations to immediate family, extended family and friends who consulted him often. Dabney valued family almost above all else and taught his children that family was one of the most important things to hold on to.

Dabney had a lot of friends but only two close friends, his brother-in-law David Presley and Paul Brandenburg. Paul’s wife Jean just happened to be Wilda’s best friend and that close friendship continued over more than 60 years. Dabney loved to play cards especially Gin and bridge. He and David Presley would play Gin for hours every time they were together. Dabney played in bridge clubs, and continued to play weekly until his current illness prevented it.

Dabney wanted to be remembered as he was in life before his recent illnesses, happy, strong, loving, and always with a song in his heart. His desire was to have a simple military ceremony with military honors.

All who knew him will miss his wit, his singing, his ever present smile, and can take comfort knowing he is now again with his beloved wife, Wilda.

Services will be held prior to Inurnment at Ft. Leavenworth National Cemetery in Leavenworth, KS at 11:00 AM July 30, 2018

Following his wife’s request, Dabney also wishes Memorial contributions to be made in his name to the Saint Luke’s Muriel I. Kauffman Women’s Heart Center and may be sent in care of Warren-McElwain Mortuary

----------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------
#7. Dr. Sandra K. Willsie 8-18-53 to 3-26-17

passed peacefully to heaven surrounded by family and dear friends on Sunday, March 26, 2017, after a courageous and nearly yearlong battle with brain cancer.

She was preceded in death by her parents, Dr. Fillmore and Cecilia Willsie; and a brother, Philip.

Survivors include her husband, Thomas Syverson of Overland Park; three siblings, David Willsie of Lincoln, Nebraska, Dr. Debra Willsie-Daggett of Overland Park and Barbara Willsie-Hess of Wichita; a niece, Emily Daggett of Overland Park; two nephews, Grant Willsie of Omaha, Nebraska, and Dr. Philip Willsie of Wilmington, Delaware; and two great-nephews, Mac and Harvey Willsie of Wilmington, Delaware, and cousin Johnny Linden of Muskogee, Ok.

Sandra graduated magna cum laude from Pittsburg State University with a bachelor’s degree in medical technology, biology and chemistry. She attended Kansas City University of Osteopathic Medicine, graduating magna cum laude, and received the Golden Stethoscope Award for Outstanding Graduate.

As an osteopathic physician, with board certification in internal medicine, pulmonary diseases and critical care medicine, Sandra worked diligently for over 30 years to further scientific discovery and health care education. A National Institutes of Health-funded career academic awardee, a Macy Institute scholar and an invited faculty member on health care leadership at Harvard University, Sandra was very involved in academic medicine. She served as professor of medicine, interim chair of medicine and docent at the University of Missouri–Kansas City School of Medicine and as provost, dean, vice dean and department chair at Kansas City University of Osteopathic Medicine.

Sandra earned a master’s degree in bioethics and health policy focusing on research ethics from Loyola University of Chicago Stritch School of Medicine. She made countless scholarly presentations and published regularly with active participation as a board member of the American College of Chest Physicians. Sandra once said “when you can’t breathe, nothing much else matters,” and in her persuasive way, she was instrumental in the creation and financial recruitment for the establishment of the Chest Foundation, for which she later served as a board member. Today the Chest Foundation continues providing grants around the world to fight respiratory diseases.

Sandra made eight pro bono trips to provide physicians in Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica and the Dominican Republic the latest research updates on asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease research. Sandra was honored to serve as president of Women Executives in Science and Healthcare and as board president of the American Heart Association’s Midwest Affiliate (greater Kansas City area), where her primary focus was on fundraising for the Go Red for Women Initiative and the launching of the Circle of Red Initiative.

In the corporate world Sandra served as medical director, principal investigator and a system-wide chair responsible for global harmonization of medical safety practices and policies. At the time of her diagnosis, Dr. Willsie had been volunteering for over 30 years at the KC CARE Clinic in downtown Kansas City, Missouri, and was a committee member of the Food and Drug Administration advisory panel on respiratory and anesthesiology devices.

As stated by one close friend, “Sandra was an amazing woman, selfless leader, gifted doctor, generous healer and respected scholar who made a difference in the lives of so many. She inspired a generation of new physicians to be and do more by following her example of excellence and integrity.”

Sandra was born Aug. 18, 1953, in Parsons, Kansas and growing up there, she never forgot her small town roots or Christian values. She was a dutiful daughter and awesome sister who never stopped looking out for her family; as an aunt, she thought and cared for her nephews and niece as if they were her own. Sandra and her husband, Tom, loved their two bichon dogs, Minnie and Mojo, and traveled often. One of her most favorite trips was to the Holy Land, organized by Church of the Resurrection and led by pastor Adam Hamilton.

For those who knew her, Sandra was compassionate and loving and always went out of her way to make the downhearted smile and feel included. Her energy and enthusiasm touched many as she loved to laugh and encouraged others to follow their dreams. Sandra’s legacy simply stated was to treat others as you would want to be treated. We were blessed to have known her, and she will be missed by many, especially her family who are comforted by their faith in knowing Sandra is now home at peace and with our Lord, Jesus Christ.

The memorial service will be at 4 p.m. Saturday in Wesley Chapel at Church of the Resurrection, 13720 Roe, Leawood, with a reception immediately following.

The family requests in lieu of flowers, donations be made in Sandra’s memory to the KC CARE Clinic, attention Sheridan Wood, CEO, 3515 Broadway, Kansas City, MO 64111.

----------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------
David C. Tippet
David C. Tippet, 102, longtime Postmaster of Parsons, passed away at 4:01 p.m., Monday, May 16, 2016 at his home.

He was born November 30, 1913 in Gildford, Montana to Lawrence and Grace (Staley) Tippet. At the age of 5, David moved with his family to The Dalles, Oregon. He graduated from Dufur High School in 1932.

During the depression, he rode the rails looking for a job and prospected for gold in California on the Yuba River. In 1935, he moved to Parsons where he attended Parsons Junior College and played on the football team for two years where he was fondly known as “Tiger Tippet.” He then worked at the St. Paul Journal for two years before working from 1939 through 1941 at Commercial Publishers in Parsons.

In December of 1941, he joined the United States Marines and served during World War II in Guadalcanal. Upon his honorable discharge in October 1944, he resided in California.

On February 22, 1945, he married Virginia L. (Toni ) Rose in Yuma, Arizona.

After marriage, the couple moved to Los Angeles, California where he worked at the Los Angeles Times. In 1948, the couple returned to Parsons where they purchased The Parsons News which he and his wife published for over 50 years. The two spent the rest of their lives in Parsons together, raising 11 children and doting on the many grandchildren whom they loved very deeply. David especially enjoyed spending time with his family and delighted in being actively involved in his grandchildren’s lives. He could often be found on the porch of his iconic main street home, fly swatter in his hand, or playing cards with his sons and daughters at the kitchen table, or making silly faces at one of the many babies crawling around his living room floor.

In 1962, David was the last Postmaster appointed by President John F. Kennedy. He continued working for the United States Postal Service until his retirement in 1984.

He was a member of the Christian Science Church in Parsons. He was an avid writer and enjoyed playing cards, farming, working cattle and horses, and an occasional trip to the casino or race track. David was a longtime member of the Democratic Party and the Elks – BPOE Lodge No. 527 in Parsons. He is remembered as the beloved patriarch of the Tippet Clan, who are thankful and blessed for the many years of smiles he brought to the family he adored.

Survivors include:
Four Sons – Casey Tippet and his wife, Pam Sallisaw, OK
David L. Tippet Houston, TX
Tracey Tippet Parsons, KS
Jon Tippet Houston, TX
Five Daughters – Michele St. Clair and her husband, Gary Parsons, KS
Patti Nutt and her husband, Steve Lee’s Summit, MO
Janie Tippet and her life partner Pat Babinski Manhattan, KS
Kelley Fowler and her husband, Lee Cottonwood Falls, KS
Marcé Modica and her husband, Jerry Olathe, KS
Nineteen Grandchildren
Fifteen Great-Grandchildren
Four Great-Great-Grandchildren
One Brother – Richard Oakes and his wife, Louise Pittsburg, Ks
Numerous Nieces and Nephews

He was preceded in death by his wife, Toni Tippet, on May 14, 1997; one son, Clark Tippet; one daughter, Christine Cooper; one grandchild, two great-grandchildren, one brother, Paul Staley Tippet; and one sister, Vineta Mae Test.

Following cremation, the family will hold a private memorial service at a future date.

Memorials are suggested to the Labette Community College Foundation for the Toni Tippet Endowed Scholarship Fund. These may be left at or mailed to Forbes-Hoffman Funeral Home, P.O. Box 374, Parsons, KS 67357.

Online condolences may be left at http://www.forbeshoffman.com.

#9. Joe Ryan

Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 3:09 pm

Joe Ryan, 72, of Parsons died at 3:45 a.m. Thursday, March 14, 2013, at Freeman West Hospital in Joplin.

He was born on July 20, 1940, in Vinita, Okla., to Martin Albert Ryan Sr. and Bessie E. (Fuller) Ryan. He was a 1958 graduate of Labette County Community High School in Altamont and earned an associate’s degree from Parsons Junior College.

He served in the U.S. Army from 1962 to 1964.

He owned and operated Joe’s Club in Parsons for several years and was a 40-year employee at the Kansas Army Ammunition Plant until retiring in 2004.

He was a member of St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, where he attended every Sunday until his health failed. He loved to fish and hunt with his friends, especially his best friend, Tuffy. Joe enjoyed playing cards, visiting, taking motorcycle trips and having a few drinks with his friends, and in younger years, playing softball and football. He received great enjoyment in coaching his daughter’s elementary basketball team, attending his sons’ wrestling matches and coaching both girls’ and men’s softball teams.

He married Sharon Lowry. They later divorced.

He married Nancy Yeoman. They later divorced.

Survivors include two sons, Dallas Allen Ryan of San Francisco and Jason Allen Ryan of Olathe; a daughter, Sherri Hyer of Olathe; two grandchildren, Jackson and Olivia Hyer; and two sisters, Joyce Thompson of Parsons and Betty Fitzgerald of Davie, Fla.

He was preceded in death by his parents and a brother, Martin Albert Ryan Jr.

The funeral Mass will be at 10 a.m. Monday at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church in Parsons. Burial will be in Nowata City Cemetery. The rosary will be prayed at 5 p.m. Sunday at Forbes-Hoffman Funeral Home in Parsons, where the family will receive friends immediately following the rosary.

Memorials are suggested to St. Patrick’s Catholic Church and may be left at or mailed to the funeral home, P.O. Box 374, Parsons, 67357.

Online condolences may be left at www.forbeshoffman.com.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Born Ellen Quinlan March 6, 1889
Parsons, Kansas, United States
Died September 8, 1991 (aged 102) Kansas City, Missouri
Nationality American
Education Lindenwood College, St. Charles, Missouri
Occupation Fashion designer of Label(s) Nelly Don Nelly Don, Former Parsons High School student, manufacturer and world famous #1 seller of womens clothing in the 1950's and and survivor of being kidnapped for ransom in Kansas City.

Clever Gravestones By People Whose Sense Of Humor Will Live Forever





Clever Gravestones By People Whose Sense Of Humor Will Live Forever