ANOTHER MAN DIES AFTER DOG LICKS HIS FACE
YAHOO NEWS 12-12-16
A man was left fighting for his life after he caught a deadly infection from his pet dog licking him. David Money, 51, from Manchester, spent six weeks in a coma with red tennis-ball-sized blisters covering his body after he caught the bug.
Doctors fought to keep him alive for five months after bacteria lurking in the dog's mouth entered an open wound.
The infection destroyed both Money's kidneys – leaving him requiring dialysis every day – but the HGV driver and former soldier somehow survived.
And despite his scrape with death, Money, who has seven whippets, maintained his love of dogs.
He said: "I'm disabled, I can barely walk, I've lost my job and I nearly died," reported SWNS.
"My life has been completely turned upside down and to think it's from a bacteria from a dog is a mind-blowing thing.
"The pain I went through was indescribable. To actually sweat with pain is absolutely horrendous.
"We are far more aware of the dogs now but I would never get rid of my dogs.
"I can't believe what has happened to me, but I cherish them."
Money first started experiencing symptoms in April and was about to go to sleep when he felt extreme pain in his legs.
His partner, Julie Crosby, 44, took him to hospital where medics diagnosed the infection as capnocytophaga – a rare bug found in the mouth and saliva of dogs.
Hours after being admitted, Crosby was told Money's chances of survival would be best if he was put into a coma. She was told to say her "final goodbyes" in case he did not survive.
"It was so shocking how quickly things happened," Crosby said.
"They didn't think he was going to make it through the night. He told me he loved me and I said the same and we said our goodbyes.
"He was gasping for breath and had this face mask on. It was devastating."
Six weeks after being in the coma, doctors stabilised the infection, but not before Money lost a toe and two kidneys.
He was released from hospital in September and has applied to go on the transplant list next year. Crosby is planning to volunteer as an organ donor to see if she is a suitable match.
Why do dogs lick wounds?
Wound-licking is an instinctive response in dogs – as well as many animals including cats – to attempt healing.
Their saliva contains enzymes and proteins which kill certain bacteria and promote blood-clotting mechanisms. However, letting your pets lick your wounds is not advisable as there are just as many, if not more, harmful side-effects that can result.
Ok dog lovers, here we go again. Another woman gets a horrible infection and has her hands and legs amputated after a dog licks her.
A dog lover woke up in hospital to find surgeons had amputated her hands and legs after she suffered a rare reaction to the saliva of one of her pets.
Surgeons removed Marie Trainer’s limbs to save her life as gangrene set in while she was in a coma.
Ms Trainer is thought to have become infected when one of her two dogs licked a scratch on her arm, causing her immune system to flare up.
When she first started feeling ill, in May, she thought it might be flu but was rushed to hospital after her temperature rose alarmingly.
The 54-year-old, from Ohio, US, developed sepsis, and suffered liver and kidney failure. As she drifted in and out of consciousness, she also complained of excruciating pain in her hands and legs.
Unable to breathe on her own, she was put into a coma and placed on life support.
Within hours, she started to suffer gangrene and necrosis in her legs and hands.
“We were getting new symptoms and worsening symptoms very rapidly,” said Gina Premier, her stepdaughter who is a nurse practitioner at the hospital.
Blood tests showed the infection was capnocytophaga canimorsus, a bacteria commonly found in dogs’ saliva.
It’s believed such a severe reaction happens to only about one in a million people who come into contact with the saliva.
Dr Margaret Kobe, medical director of infectious disease at Aultman Hospital told Fox 8: “It’s fairly common in the oral flora or the mouth of a dog and it can be transmitted through a bite or sometimes just contact with saliva.”
People should ensure they wash their hands after playing with a dog, she said.
The organism may induce the immune system to do “some pretty horrible things”, she said.
In this case, they caused blood clots that damaged the tissues in Ms Trainer’s limbs so much they could not be saved.
Ms Trainer had surgery at least six times and was in hospital for nearly three months but remembers nothing before waking up in intensive care.
“It was very hard to find out that they had to remove my legs and my arms…very hard to cope with,” she told Fox 59.
She said her dogs licked her all the time.
Ms Premier said that if surgeons had not performed the amputations, her stepmother would have died: “It was so rapid in progression… there was nothing they could do.”
Ms Trainer, a hairdresser, faces rehabilitation and an uncertain future but paid tribute to the devotion of her husband, Matthew.
“He feeds me, dresses me, he’s here for me every day,” she said. “There’s lots of healing to do.”
An online fundraising campaign to help her adapt to her new life has so far raised $18,676 (£15,400).
Last year, a US man also had his limbs amputated after being infected by a dog lick.